Skip to main content

Review: The Giver (Part 1 of The Giver quartet)

Author - Lois Lowry
Genre - Young-Adult/Science Fiction
No. of Pages - 223
Year of Publication - 1993
Rating - ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I'll be very clear, I really LOVED this book. It grasped my interest from the very beginning and I wasn't bored by a single paragraph. Every chapter was a cliffhanger! It has just 223 pages, so it was a quick read. I am really bad at reading a series, I can never complete one. But this book has made me so curious that I am going to order the next part of the quartet right away, after writing this review. 

So, the readers who enjoy fantasy and some other-world-settings in books will surely love this one. This book is set in a community, far away from our world, in the sense of distance and culture too. Precisely, I should say, in every sense. The protagonist is a 12 years old boy named, Jonas. 

When you read the first few chapters, the community where Jonas lives will appear to be a Utopian society. No problems, everything so arranged and matter-of-factly. Everyone is assigned their professions, their spouses, everything is so arranged and rigid, it made me queasy to think of living in a society like that.

Family units have their own dwellings where they live and everyone is equal, apart from the committee of Elders which is the highest power. These Elders decide the future, including who should be in which profession and who should get married to whom and which couple is to recieve which newchild. Even being a birthmother is a profession.

Doesn't all this sound a bit too systematic?

When Jonas is assigned to be The Receiver, the highest honor one could get in the community, he uncovers the dark secrets of this actually, Dystopian society. He learns beyond the reach of this community and embraces feelings which his fellows would never experience. Even 'love' is an obsolete word for them which actually holds so much deep meaning.

Knowing the unknown and the urge to know more forces Jonas to embark an incredible journey.

The way the author has created this society which appears to be perfectly ordered, but only superficially, is what I loved the most. I was amazed when the book step-by-step uncovered the ways and constitution of the community. And I liked Jonas' character a lot, he is shown to be quite brave and sensible for his age but I liked his spirit. Lowry has been a children's author and that reflected in her writing style. She has received the Newbery medal for this book which was her second time.

I recommend this book to everyone alive, and specially to those who dream of a perfect world with no problems and pain at all. This book will tell you how much important is the farrago of pain and pleasure, love and hate, sorrow and happiness.

Review by Bhumika Singh (Blog Author)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five easy tips to become an avid reader

Many people out there want to become avid readers. Purposes can be different. Someone aspires to become a writer one day but the other just wants to improve his vocabulary. In any case, you must have some basic idea about books and reading if you are not a book-bosomed creature by birth. In this post, I am going to share some tips and habits which you require to become an avid reader. Nothing out of the way, just some small things which will promote the craving for books in you. Have you ever wondered how readers are able to make fandom references all the time? How do they know the quotes and phrases of their favorite books by heart? And above all how are they able to read so much? Here, you will find the answers to all these questions. Discover your interests and passion:  I developed interest for books in ninth standard by reading  Nancy Drew , which is a mystery series. And in today's date I love reading YA novels, romance and thrillers. No one can force you to read ...

Review: Safe Haven

Author - Nicholas Sparks Genre - Romance No. of Pages - 432 Year of Publication - 2011 Rating - ❤️❤️❤️ After reading The Notebook , I had high expectations from any other Sparks' book. I wouldn't say that I didn't like this book. All in all it was an okay read. I liked Erin's character a lot. She is portrayed as an independent and brave woman and yes, intelligent too. Alex is a decent character who showcases the idealistic image of a single father who loves and cares for his children more than anything else in the world. And lastly, Kevin, who would like him when he is the self proclaimed villain? I guess no one. Erin moves to Southport, North Carolina after fleeing from her husband, Kevin's house. Erin fell in love with Kevin and they got married but just after a few years of marriage, Erin discovered how obsessed he is with himself and how he wants total control over her moves and her life.  She felt suffocated in his house. She wasn't even al...

Review: Angels and Demons (Guest Post)

Author - Dan Brown Genre - Mystery-Thriller No. of Pages - 616 Year of Publication - 2000 Rating - ❤️❤️❤️❤️ The novel unfolds in a dream of the protagonist, Robert Langdon, a professor of religious iconology and art history at Harvard University. A call and subsequently a fax sent by Maximillian Kohler, a discrete particle physicist shakes him up from the sweet embrace of sleep. Murder of a great scientist, Mr. Leonardo Vetra at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland unravels the mysterious resurfacing of the ILLUMINATIS, an ancient brotherhood.  Langdon, being an expert of religious iconology, is asked for help to solve the murder mystery. The murder victim, Mr. Leonardo Vetra was not only the world's leading physicists but a catholic priest too. His adopted daughter, Vittoria is also working at CERN. Vetra and his daughter used the world's largest particle accelerator to create antimatter, to simulate the Big Bang. Once the antimatter canister is removed from the electrica...

Followers