Skip to main content

Review: The Girl on the Train


(Contains Spoilers)
Author - Paula Hawkins
Genre - Thriller
No. of Pages - 395(US)/ 320(UK)
Year of Publication - 2015
Rating - ❤️❤️❤️
This book has won 2015 Goodreads Choice award in best mystery and thriller category and it was at No. 1 among The New York Times Fiction bestsellers of 2015. My hopes were high, but it did not match my expectations. When you read a thriller, you expect something out of everything. Like each word seems like a clue and you try to solve the mystery on your own by cracking those clues. I didn't get any major clues while reading this book. And it was quite exhausting. 

The readers who have already read this book would relate more to my review.

Rachel is a 32 years old alcoholic, divorced from her husband Tom, who is now married to Anna, the 'mistress'. Another couple lives a few houses away from Tom and Anna's house(where Tom and Rachel lived once), their names are Scott and Megan.

First, the protagonist Rachel Watson is an alcoholic and trying to cope with the loss of her marriage, her divorce. She goes to and fro on the same train without any aim(she lost her job months ago), to London and roams around. Who does that? I mean it's OK that she is depressed and all that stuff and it's also OK to go on meaningless train journeys once in a while but for months? It's too much. 

Second, Rachel is obsessed. She watches a couple from the train living in house number fifteen, a few houses away from where she lived with her husband. And she is so obsessed that she even names them as Jess and Jason and imagines what there life must be like. 
P.S. - Jess and Jason are actually, Scott and Megan.

Third, I had many unanswered questions.

  1. The blue cloth Rachel saw, lying on the tracks, twice, while her journey on the train. What was that about? I thought throughout the book that it had something to do with the mystery but nothing came out.
  2. The deja vu Rachel had of Anna wearing a blue dress with black belt going into the car or running away from her. What was that all about? I found no explanations.
  3. I know Megan had an affair with Kamal, her therapist. That was quite clear. But later, we find out that she had an affair with Tom too. That was quite disgusting and confusing at the same time. 
Fourth, women are shown as a total fool. You will understand this point when you read the book. I won't spoil the mystery completely. 

Fifth, I knew that Scott or Kamal were not guilty, from the beginning. I just knew. And the kind of climax I was expecting, it wasn't up to that mark. I wanted more clarity and answers.

I won't say that I disliked this book but I didn't love it. I wanted to love it. It is quite popular and I had longed to read it for a while. Considering the amount of curiosity I had, I was disappointed. I don't know whether it's just me with lots of questions and confusions or there are people who can relate to me but this is what I felt. I'll certainly recommend this book to the readers who love reading thrillers because if I didn't love it, doesn't mean you won't love it.  

Review by Bhumika Singh (Blog Author)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: And Then There Were None

Author - Agatha Christie Genre - Thriller No. of Pages - 320 Year of Publication - 1964 Rating - ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Unlike my earlier reviews, this one is about a thriller. And actually a mind boggling thriller. This is one of those books which will keep you awake through the night with your mind bubbling with questions. A sure shot page turner. And the end will be something you could never imagine.  A mysterious person U.N. Owen invites ten people to his island for different purposes and so the blunder begins. People start dying without any possible explanations and the murderer could only be someone among them because they are the only people on the island. There seems no way they can escape the island and neither do they have any link to the outside world. The fear of death is hanging on their heads and no one is out of doubt. Every person is suspected. Any plans or strategies made to catch the murderer are futile in the end and the reason will become obvious when you read the epi

Review: Safe Haven

Author - Nicholas Sparks Genre - Romance No. of Pages - 432 Year of Publication - 2011 Rating - ❤️❤️❤️ After reading The Notebook , I had high expectations from any other Sparks' book. I wouldn't say that I didn't like this book. All in all it was an okay read. I liked Erin's character a lot. She is portrayed as an independent and brave woman and yes, intelligent too. Alex is a decent character who showcases the idealistic image of a single father who loves and cares for his children more than anything else in the world. And lastly, Kevin, who would like him when he is the self proclaimed villain? I guess no one. Erin moves to Southport, North Carolina after fleeing from her husband, Kevin's house. Erin fell in love with Kevin and they got married but just after a few years of marriage, Erin discovered how obsessed he is with himself and how he wants total control over her moves and her life.  She felt suffocated in his house. She wasn't even al

Review: Angels and Demons (Guest Post)

Author - Dan Brown Genre - Mystery-Thriller No. of Pages - 616 Year of Publication - 2000 Rating - ❤️❤️❤️❤️ The novel unfolds in a dream of the protagonist, Robert Langdon, a professor of religious iconology and art history at Harvard University. A call and subsequently a fax sent by Maximillian Kohler, a discrete particle physicist shakes him up from the sweet embrace of sleep. Murder of a great scientist, Mr. Leonardo Vetra at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland unravels the mysterious resurfacing of the ILLUMINATIS, an ancient brotherhood.  Langdon, being an expert of religious iconology, is asked for help to solve the murder mystery. The murder victim, Mr. Leonardo Vetra was not only the world's leading physicists but a catholic priest too. His adopted daughter, Vittoria is also working at CERN. Vetra and his daughter used the world's largest particle accelerator to create antimatter, to simulate the Big Bang. Once the antimatter canister is removed from the electrica

Followers